The sun is out, flowers are here, and I couldn’t hope for a more beautiful start to Valentine’s Day. I’m excited to share one of my favorite cakes today. It combines my love for chocolate and strawberries in a delicious vanilla cheesecake made with cashew cream. Top it with coconut milk ganache, and you have a wonderful treat for special occasions.
Strawberry Chocolate “Cheesecake”
Yield: 12 slices Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 50-60 minutes
For the Crust:
20 Original Newman-O’s cookies
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons of melted butter (I used Earth Balance baking sticks)
For the Filling:
2 cups plain yogurt (I used Silk plain yogurt)
1⅓ cup raw cashews (soaked in water overnight and drained)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Juice of 1 large lemon
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1-2 tablespoons of pure baking sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
For the Topping:
Freshly sliced strawberries or raspberries
Canned coconut milk
Semi-sweet baking chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Separate the Newman-O’s cookies and scrape the filling from them. Break the cookies and pulse them in a food processor until coarsely ground. Add the melted butter and maple syrup and process the cookies until it creates a dough-like consistency. Press the crust mixture down into a nonstick springform pan.
- Blend all of the filling ingredients in a food processor until it is smooth and creamy. Pour the cashew cream into the springform pan.
- Bake the cake for 50-55 minutes. You can test the middle of the cake with a toothpick to see if it has thoroughly cooked. Let cool for 10 minutes before refrigerating for at least an hour.
- Open a can of coconut milk and pour 1/2 cup of the milk in a double boiler. Add five ounces of baking chocolate to the pot and whisk the mixture until it’s perfectly smooth. Add a bit of maple syrup to sweeten the ganache to your liking. Take off the double boiler and set aside.
- Add the strawberries or raspberries to the cake. Drizzle the coconut milk ganache over the top.