For nights in when you need comfort food
Hi blogging family,
I think the world could use a little soul food right now. I know I do. The first thing that came to mind for tonight’s dinner was my Mac N’ “Cheese” recipe.
When it comes to mac n’ cheese, I have a feeling it’s on everyone’s go-to list for childhood favorite. I added a little bacon – gasp. I never thought I’d say that. Ever since I was little and read Charlottes Web I vowed never to eat bacon. Then I found out that the same bacon pieces that my grandma used on our salads was actually made of soy. Way to go grandma! So I had to add it to mac n’ “cheese.”
Mac N’ “Cheese”
Yield: 4 servings Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
12 ounces GF pasta shells
2 tablespoons butter of choice (I used Miyoko’s European Style Cultured Butter)
2 garlic cloves, minced
Few pinches of sea salt and white pepper
1/8 teaspoon of turmeric
2 cups of peeled and diced sweet potatoes
2 cups unsweetened milk of choice (I used soy milk)
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/3 cup nutritional yeast (I used Bragg since we can’t buy bulk items now)
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
McCormick Bacn Pieces or Betty Crocker Bac-O Chips (optional)
Chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute until fragrant.
2. Add salt, pepper, turmeric, sweet potatoes and milk. Simmer and stir occasionally until the potatoes are soft. (If you diced the sweet potatoes they should soften anywhere between 8-10 minutes)
3. As your potatoes are cooking, cook pasta according to the package until it is al dente.
4. Once the sweet potatoes are soft, add the mixture to a food processor or blender. Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon (be careful with those seeds :), nutritional yeast, and Dijon mustard. Blend until creamy. The sauce will be a little thick so continue to add a more milk (1-2 tablespoons at a time) until you get the right texture. Now is the time to taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper if needed.
5. Drain the pasta and put back in the pan. Fold in the cheese sauce and serve immediately with “Bacn” Pieces or Bac-O Chips and chopped parsley.
Stay home, stay healthy, and enjoy!