Simple Bruschetta with a fresh, tasty topping
This is one of my favorite appetizers to make for my family. A special thank-you to my brother all the way from Boston for taking the photo. I hope you enjoy this simple yet delicious dish!
Serves: 6-8 Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 5-7 minutes
4 tomatoes from the vine, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced red onion
6-8 basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sea salt, more or less to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more or less to taste
Extra virgin olive oil*
Balsamic glaze **
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1 baguette French bread or similar Italian bread
1. Turn on the oven to broil.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, red onion, basil leaves, salt, and pepper. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the bowl, stir, and set the mixture aside.
3. Cut the French bread into even, ½ inch slices. With a pastry brush, spread a thin layer of olive oil on each slice and place face up on a baking tray to toast. Broil the bread until golden, flip the toasted side face-down, and repeat.
4. Rub a clove of garlic over the top of bread. Top the baguette slices with tomato-basil mixture. Drizzle balsamic glaze and a little olive oil over each portion. Plate and serve immediately.
* I used Trader Joe’s Organic Greek EVOO
** Balsamic glaze is found next to balsamic vinegar at the grocery store.