Yesterday morning, Archie, my little rescue cat, woke me up to see the snow falling outside. He was so sweet. It was beautiful and melted just in time to convince a loyal friend to brave the cold and join me on a trip to the recycling center. After feeling eco-friendly, we then headed off to Target to pick up a comforter set by my favorite designer and blogger Justina Blakenay. As a reward, I cooked a Spanish dinner that was easy to put together on a whim.
My version of Spanish beans and rice is inspired by the Spanish cuisine of incorporating soforitos (a base of garlic, onion, peppers, and tomatoes cooked in olive oil), herbs, paprika, spices, and legumes. I love this recipe for its versatility. You can add toppings like plant-based sour cream, cheddar cheese shreds and/or scallions. It really depends on your taste and what you have available.
Before I get to the recipe, I want to give a shout out to everyone that’s been viewing my post these past weeks. Thank you! It motivates me to keep posting and living a healthy and happy lifestyle. OK…Vamos! Lets get cooking.
Spanish Beans and Rice
Yield: 4 servings Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes
1 tbsp EVOO
2 celery ribs, sliced
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
I medium sweet onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsps Vegan Worcestershire sauce (Simple Truth brand is the one I used)
1 1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups of cooked rice
cilantro or parsley leaves, chopped
1. In a large pot or pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, bell pepper, and onion. Cook and stir for about 3 minutes.
2. Add garlic and stir again until veggies are tender.
3. Stir in chili powder and paprika until fragrant.
4. Stir in tomatoes and beans. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer until heated through.
6. While beans and veggies are cooking, boil rice according to instructions.
7. Plate rice and beans. Top with fresh cilantro or parsley. You could also top with chopped scallions, plant-based sour cream and/or cheddar cheese shreds.